15 April 2008

And/ But

In term 2 (Part 1) there was a week-long course in Project Management. A whole of the week was devoted for studying Project Management. We were involved in simulations and theoretical studies including risk analysis, programme management and project planning and execution.

It was another amazing experience especially with one of the most enthusiastic and interesting lecturers of Cranfield: Stephen Carver. Steve has also been teaching us about the presentation skills and communication skills. One cannot afford to miss him when he is around. He has an extensive industry (oil and gas) experience and is still involved in providing consultancy.

The best learning for me out of the course was: ‘replacement of BUT with AND’. We were told by one of the faculty that it would be lot better and easier to work in teams especially while executing projects, if we could replace ‘but’ with ‘and’. When I thought in retrospection, I found that it really means a lot when you start your sentence with ‘and’ instead of ‘but’ which usually gives a negative meaning. After that I have always made it a point to minimise the use of ‘but’ in my conversation. Thanks John (Algar) for this wonderful tip.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing.

Anonymous said...

This is Krishna from India. I am going to join Cranfield SOM this September.
Can u help me with some querries. I have background of Power equipment manufacturing industry in India. Whats the scope & roles and in which industry, I can look upto post MBA from Cranfield.

Anonymous said...

Hi Vineet
Thx, Your blogs give a lot of motivation to prospective candidates to Cranfield.
Can I have your mailid, I am Krishna from India & am having a PSU background.
It will be nice if we could be in touch.

abhishek said...

Agar aise hi blog likhta raha to tere blog INDIA TV mein aa jayenge

abhishek said...
This comment has been removed by the author.