03 September 2007

My Native Place

These days I am free from my job and preparing for my next venture: MBA at Cranfield University, UK. Am I? I think I am spending more of my time in enjoying life at my native place- Patiala, than preparing for the B-School.

Patiala- I am madly in love with my home town. Its such a cool and calm city- a true stress buster for me. Life here is slow but interesting. People are very cordial and sweet. There are so many nice eating joints which offer you a variety of goodies to eat- the best ones being Gopals, Sahni bakery, Vermas and the more traditional ones like Sadhu Ram's kachori and poori etc.

I love roaming around the city and at times for no reason at all. There s hardly any traffic jam in patiala but that should not be construed as there are less number of vehicles here. Its just that traffic management is good, roads are wide and well laid.

Patiala is an erstwhile princely state of India and is famous for 'Patiala Peg' (the history of Patiala Peg shall be covered in next blog), Punjabi Juttis, Traditional Punjabi products like prandis and patialavi salwars (salwar is a lower part of the suit worn by punjabi ladies). Once I met an entrepreneur who had been to a number of places around the world. i cannot forget his words-" Out of about 50 places I have been to around the world, I feel patiala is so far the best city to live in".

And he is certainly right. Most of the people are from middle class background. The proportion of lower class and upper class is very less. There s hardly any industry and people are dependent on the services sector or the government sector. Though, absence of industry has has its own negative effects on the city. The development projects are undertaken entirely by the Government and there s no private sector participation. There are so many educational institutes but the students have to explore other parts of the country n world for career as there s hardly any opportunities on the job front in this city.

One may summarise that its a best place to live post retirement.:-)

I wish I may spend my own life post retirement at Patiala only.

Love you loads Patiala

No comments: