15 June 2008

IBE- Dubai: a man-made wonder

Well as a part of the IBE, I visited two places Dubai and Turkey. I would first detail my experience in Dubai.

I just spent 3 days in Dubai and came to know so much about the city and whole of the Middle East that I could not have understood those dimensions of the middle-east through Google. It’s a man made wonder; really, everything you see around yourself has been made using technology (civil-engineering to be specific) and through best possible use of the natural resources, which exist only minimally.

Thanks to the wonderful presentations at Dubai School of Government, PwC and Sama Dubai, we learnt a lot about the revolution which is going on in this desert, which is no longer deserted. I was surprised to know that there is a monthly influx of about 30000 people in Dubai and city is expanding rapidly. The major thrust behind this growth has been the leadership at helm. The Government has done and is doing its best and wants to see Dubai as one of the prime powers of the world.

If we look at Dubai, we learn a very important lesson that the word ‘Impossible’ is actually ‘I m possible’. Nothing is impossible. Dubai has created green lands out of deserts. Arabs have used their financial muscle, curved out of oil, to create a place which offers something to everybody. You have a variety of restaurants, huge shopping malls, world’s tallest buildings, low costs of living (excluding accommodation), a financial centre is flowering up, places of fun for children and desert safaris to enjoy the nature at its best. Who would have thought 15 years back that a desert area can be transformed to such an extent.

I enjoyed my 3-day stay with lot of Indian food and visited some of other Emirates such as Sharjah. A remark here: Dubai is the best out of the 7 emirates and you can feel a difference between Sharjah and Dubai.

Emirates is really cheaper than UK and many other countries if you consider the costs on Purchasing Power Parity. The salaries that are offered are enough not only to meet your living costs but also to save considerably.

I had a chance to catch up my childhood mate Sunny, who took me around in evenings. An evening was spent with Umesh and we had a gala time in an Indian restaurant. Umesh and Sunny really made my time in Dubai and I would cherish it for long.

No comments: